Wednesday 28 August 2013

Ducktales NES (1990)


Ducktales Woo-ooo! You knew that was coming right?
I absolutely loved this cartoon but for today I want to talk about the NES game released in late 1990. 
The NES was the 2nd console I ever owned, the first being the Commodore 64 although I was too young to really be any good at using the old tape cassette machine. 
So I consider the NES to be the first console where I understood what was going on. Most of my NES collection consists of cartoons I watched at the time and Super Mario.

Well anyway Ducktales has just been released as a HD remake so I figured it's the opportune moment to write about the original version.
Briefly Ducktales is the story of Scrooge McDuck who happens to be the richest duck in the world. He ends up taking care of his three great-nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie after their uncle Donald joins the navy.
A typical episode would feature villains such as the Beagle boys attempting to steal Scrooge's fortune or Scrooge going in search of new treasure to increase his wealth.  

Which leads us into the story for the game.

Scrooge goes in search of 5 treasures in 5 worlds. These are the African Mines, the Himalayas, the Amazon, Transylvania, and the moon...yes the moon. 

Along the way you fight off enemies with Scrooge's cane that he bounces on like a pogo stick and occasionally land on enemies heads. Great fun right? The cane is also used to open treasure chests and to swing rocks or other objects into enemies. At the end of each of the 5 levels you have a boss to face who you can pogo on!
You collect money along the way to add to your score and ice cream that will restore health or give you a power-up. Wouldn't it be awesome if ice cream really did that!?

There are 3 endings and a secret boss if you collect all the hidden treasure too.

I remember this game being challenging at times and after reading a review on the remake it's just as challenging so I think i'll purchase it before long.

If you are a fan of the cartoon as I know a lot of people are then you should enjoy the game. Whether you want to purchase the old classic NES version (not from me sorry) or the remake is entirely up to you.



Ducktales Woo-ooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment