Tuesday 28 January 2014

East Of Kensington


I rarely watch short films but East of Kensington was one I came across the other day on Google. Perhaps you can guess that it's about Peter Pan due to Kensington Gardens and I thought 'another happy adventure in Neverland then is it'? 

Well quite the opposite it appeared as I read the synopsis:


Years after Peter Pan and the Lost Boys have overthrown the pirates, Peter visits London to return Wendy to Neverland and is kidnapped by a mysterious Stranger residing in the decaying remains of the Darling House. Peter is forced to confront a harsh reality that challenges his innocence.

Now this caught my attention. Written and directed by Kellen Moore, it seemed he wanted to explore the dark side of Peter Pan and the consequences his actions had on the people that loved him.

So I started watching it online and I'm glad I did! It's only 19 minutes long but it seemed to cram a lot in during that time and it definitely did tell you the tale of what happened after Peter returned Wendy to the Darling household. The camera work and darkness were great and the acting by Jack Griffo (Peter Pan) and Time Winters (the Stranger) was of a very high standard indeed.

I found myself drawn into the story and there were some scenes which I thought didn't fit in with the childish Peter Pan and happy thoughts plot of the original but that was great to me because I think that was the actual point of this short film.

This film is the opposite of happy thoughts and without happy thoughts you can't fly.

I would love to discuss what happens but if you decide to watch it, which I think you really should, then I don't want to spoil it for you.

Here is a link to the East Of Kensington official website if you want to learn more 

You can watch the film here


Goodbyes are not forever...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment