Sunday 2 March 2014

Cardiff Comic Con March 1st 2014


Cardiff Comic Con came around quicker than expected with last years only taking place in August. I awoke on the morning with a banging headache and was slightly concerned that I'd caught my Dad's cold who had been rough the night before.

However it was just tiredness and I quickly recovered to set off to my 2nd official comic con. My mates and I arrived before the gates opened and I realised that we were queuing in almost the exact same spot as last year! 

Once again the Motorpoint Arena was heaving with tons of sci-fi geeks and cosplayers. There were a fair number of Spidermen and Kick-Ass' walking about as well as Adventure Time cosplayers. I have never had the urge to dress up as anyone yet but I might do one day. Who knows?

Holy photobombing Spidey!
Last year the General Lee car from the Dukes of Hazzard greeted us just inside the entrance. This year it was supposed to be the Delorean from Back To The Future but it wasn't available and instead we had the 1966 Batmobile instead! Holy Bat-mania! However Adam West and Burt Ward were nowhere in sight.

The stalls offered some pretty cool things such as retro shirts, figurines and all the sci-fi and anime related content you could imagine. I didn't buy a lot but I did spend a lot. I bought a ticket to have a photo with the lovely Eve Myles, Torchwood's Gwen Cooper, who was very nice by the way and a Golden Axe t-shirt.

After this my inner geek well and truly came out. One of the stalls was selling replica swords and guns from different anime and video games. I recognised Sephiroth's Masamune but then my eyes fell upon Squall's Gunblade. I asked to hold it and it felt pretty cool in my hands and I was careful not to swing it about as there were many people around me who I think would like to keep their heads. However I put the sword back and decided to move on...for about a few minutes before heading back.

You see I thought the sword was £60 each or two for £100 so me and a friend I met earlier that day decided to go halves only to realise that I made a mistake and mine was actually £100! But by then the gunblade had been packed and I was too excited to say no and I'm glad I didn't now! It's awesome! My friend purchased Grimmjow's blade from Bleach and we warned not to get the weapons out otherwise security would rush us! Hence our battle will have to wait...I clearly would have won anyway...


So after losing and finding my group of friends several times during the day we decided to head out for lunch. Well kind of. THEY ended up going for lunch while I returned to my car to deposit my blade and then headed back to comic con for my photo with Eve who happened to be 25 minutes late. But it was worth it.

In fact the queue for Eve was very long and Bernard Cribbins himself walked past me and said 'this is madness!' After making friends with the girl in front of me we decided that Eve should give us a signed photo and DVD box set for free. Yeah that never happened...

Overall I enjoyed comic con and I'm already looking forward to the next one in November. I just hope one of my favourites turns up...

Now do I place the Gunblade on my wall or keep it next to my bed in case monsters attack? 





2 comments:

  1. Good on ya lad, and if you end up having some epic duel and you loose ya head, i want ur Golden Axe t-shirt :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha noted. But I intend not to part with the shirt or the gun blade!

      Delete