Monday 31 March 2014

Retro Gaming Tougher Than Current Day Gaming?

Do you remember those days? The days when you couldn't just save your progress and come back to your game a few days later? The days when it mattered how many lives you lost and how accurate your gaming had to be to beat just one title?

Those were the best days of my life!

It wasn't the summer of 69 though, more early 90's when NES and Mega Drive were all the rage. I enjoyed spending endless hours of fun on those consoles and wouldn't change a minute of it. I even revisit my old games on occasion even though modern gaming takes up the majority of my time.

So being a veteran gamer I thought the old games of my childhood should be no problem to complete right? How wrong I was!

I died. A lot.

Actually I'm pretty sure I did much better at them when I was a kid!  
How does that make sense? Super Mario and Sonic were fine but when it came to Double Dragon and Shinobi I found it difficult to pass a few levels. Also Chip & Dale, Ducktales and The Jungle Book.

There are more but I can't think off the top of my head. At least I was still pretty good at Streets Of Rage!

But what surprised me was how easy I was losing lives and jumping straight into danger. I missed the fact that I couldn't save my progress unless provided with a password!

I mean if I got stuck on a Playstation game at least I had a memory card to save on. Until they would get wiped. Anyone experience that? Groan...

Modern gaming these days is so much easier with the majority being endless continues and checkpoint saving and the difficulty doesn't seem so bad either unless you play Demon Souls or try fighting Omega Weapon in Final Fantasy 8. 

I'm currently playing the reboot of Devil May Cry and finding it a cinch compared to some retro gaming.

All this being said though I do enjoy a challenge and think I should start playing more retro even if I have to release my inner child to do so!

Soooooo maybe I'll get hunting for those passwords...

No comments:

Post a Comment