Wednesday 26 March 2014

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2


Good but not great.

That's my overall feeling of Lords of Shadow 2. 

I was quite looking forward to this game and the release date came around quicker than expected. I really enjoyed the first and thought the second would be just as good or better. However I'm not sure if it was.


Maybe it was the modern setting that took the joy away for me even though you still traverse the Underworld and Dracula's castle. The first game was pure fantasy. This was...well I don't know. A lot of the missions took place in a laboratory and included stealth sections that for me didn't really work. 

I didn't get the feel that this was the Castlevania I knew and loved. 

The combat wasn't too great in my opinion. I found it quite irritating at times unless I wasn't just very good at it. I briefly played the new Devil May Cry revamp when a friend popped over and the combat in that was much more easy flowing and fluid. Castlevania seemed kind of heavy.

I preferred the open world to explore this time compared to the linear path of the first game and finding shards to increase your health and magic was all good. Upgrading your abilities was pretty straight forward too.

The story however wasn't fantastic. It didn't really have me hooked. 

At first I questioned myself. Am I being too harsh on this game? However after seeing different reviews over the Internet I now know I'm not.

The game was good and perhaps you should give it a go but for me I will be trading it in.

The first Castlevania I will be keeping. 

Of course if you want a proper taste of what Castlevania is all about then play the DS games! You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment