Tuesday 11 March 2014

Muppet Treasure Island


There are a few occasions in your childhood where you discover a film or game that you know will stick with you for the rest of your adult life. The film in question is none other than Muppet Treasure Island, believed to be the most popular Muppet film by the majority of fans.

I saw the the film for the first time when I was 9 years old at a cinema in Cardiff with my parents. It was one of the best films I had ever seen at the time and one that cemented my love for the Muppets forever.

Nice face Kev...

It was great fun! The songs were catchy,the acting was superb and the film contained many one-liners that I still use in conversation today...well mostly with myself.

As soon as MTI finished I wanted to go back and watch it again. When I found it broadcast on TV I recorded it on VHS and have probably worn the tape out considering how often I watched it by myself and with friends. Of course when it was released on DVD I quickly snatched that up and if I find it on Blu Ray then yes I'd even buy that.

I bought action figures of Gonzo and Rizzo from MTI and that was only a few years ago haha. I should search for one of Beaker, he is my absolute fave! If you know of an MTI version of him then drop me a line!

Sailing For Adventure!

How awesome were the characters though? Sam Eagle as the very stern Mr. Arrow! Kermit as Captain Smollett, Miss Piggy as Benjamina Gunn and Fozzy as Squire Trelawney just to name a few. Oh and not forgetting Mr. Bimbo who lives in the Squire's finger! He's been to the moon, been there twice!

Then you had Mad Monty, Polly Lobster and my favourite of the trio, Clueless Morgan, helping Long John out!

And Mrs. Bluberidge played by Jennifer Saunders of course! The way she slaps a muppet repeatedly in the beginning of the film is hilarious!
  How often do you come across a cast of such random, unique characters? Sometimes I have to remind myself the Muppets aren't real! Except Beaker of course, he's a good friend of mine!

Talking Parrots???


If that wasn't enough to sell the film alone it cast Tim Curry as Long John Silver and Kevin Bishop as Jim Hawkins! Both great actors and a role that would propel Kevin into stardom before he went on to do his comedy sketches and other acting roles.

I was fortunate to have a reply off Kevin on Twitter where we were discussing MTI, it's songs and the chance of it having a blu ray release. I said to him:



Haha!

Speaking of the songs I have them on my Ipod and will randomly burst into Cabin Fever from time to time. Who'd have thought I'd still be into them after all these years? And why not?   

I remember kids in school used to sing Cabin Fever on the odd occasion too and not forgetting Boom Shakalaka! 

BOOM SHAKALAKA! BOOM SHAKALAKA! BOOM SHAKALAKA!

BOOM!

So there you have it! A top favourite of mine and I highly doubt that will ever change. My 2nd favourite Muppet film is The Muppet Christmas Carol.

If you want to try my Muppet Treasure Island quiz then click here

If you've never seen this film then get to it! I Might just go and watch it right now...

I say! THIS does not look safe!



No comments:

Post a Comment