Monday 17 March 2014

Wee Fictional Scottish Characters




This past weekend my best friend and I travelled up to bonny Scotland to visit our wee friend Mara. You may remember that I wrote about her in a pervious post entitled 'why I stopped playing Mortal Kombat'. The weekend was great except for travelling up on a Megabusgold sleeper service on very cramped bunk beds. Never again I tell you! This was my first time in Glasgow and Edinburgh and next time I will likely fly up.

So I got to thinking how could I tie my trip in with my blog? Then I started to think of related Scottish content in regards to TV, gaming and other media. I found it difficult to think of Scottish characters so asked a few friends for suggestions on this one.

So Scotland this is my shout-out to you! Let's celebrate the Scots with a list of popular and maybe not so popular characters. Oh and sorry about the thrashing Wales gave you in the rugby ;)

If you haven't clicked off my page in anger then let's do this!

1. Scrooge Mcduck




Scrooge was the first character to pop into my head when I pondered this topic. I've already wrote about Ducktales and how much I love it and it's very likely that if you're a 90's kid you would have thought of him too. However I didn't find his moneybin on my travels :(

2. Amy Pond



One of the Doctor's most popular sidekicks of all time was Scottish. Played brilliantly by Karen Gillan and Caitlin Blackwood. How many wept when the fate of the character was revealed?

3. Captain John 'Soap' MacTavish



A popular character in the Modern Warfare games as I'm sure a lot of you will know. The COD games got me addicted to online play.

4. Groundskeeper Willie



You can't get much more Scottish than Willie from The Simpsons who some people believe to be the absolute personification of what Scottish is all about. Haggis time anyone?

5. James Bond



Yeah James Bond has a Scottish father. I always thought the character was English until the most previous film. I've seen a handful of the films but can't say I'm a big fan like most.

6. Morrigan Aensland



A succubus from Darkstalkers. I've never played the game myself so relied on my friends for this one. She does like cool though.

7. Shrek



I'm surprised I didn't think of this one. A Scottish Ogre in the fantasy film series voiced by Mike Myer's. 

8. Montgomery Scott



All I have to say on this one is 'beam me up Scotty!'

So there are a lot more Scottish characters than I thought. Others include Conner and Duncan Macleod from Highlanders, Desmond from Lost, Fat Bastard from Austin Powers and Minerva McGonagall from Harry Potter.

Know any?

No comments:

Post a Comment