Sunday 1 December 2013

Stand By Me


It's December 1st already! I can't believe how fast this year has gone, especially since I arrived back from my Orlando holiday during August. I'm actually a little behind this year on my Christmas shopping but haven't got much left to do. My Grandad is proving especially difficult to buy for! 
I hope all your plans are going accordingly and you've opened your first advent calendar window. You're never too old for one ;)

So seeing as this is the festive month I have decided that my next topic should be one of my top films and it's probably a favourite of yours too as it has quite the following- Stand By Me.


Now back on Halloween I was chilling with 3 friends when it was shockingly revealed that none of them had ever seen Stand By Me! I mean come on! Seriously? To me it's the best coming of age movie ever and it's just awesome! I had it on DVD but then when it was released on Blu Ray purchased a copy and gave my DVD to one of these friends. He still hasn't watched it and this was well over a year ago.

(Yes Clash, that is you!)

SBM is based on a short novel by Stephen King where four boys go on a journey to locate the body of missing teen Ray Brower who it is reported was struck by a train. The film then explores the bonding of friendship, tragedy and comedy along the way and is done very well.

The film has a great cast including Wil Wheaton, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell, the late River Phoenix and a young Kiefer Sutherland. Wil and River give tremendous performances and really make the film.

It doesn't sound a lot on paper but you have to watch the film to understand it and the script is amazing. The phrases and banter used is hilarious! The last scene with River Phoenix is much more meaningful now after his death too. Honestly, this film made me pause and think for a while. It's a classic.

It also makes a change from the majority of Stephen King novels where nearly all the characters end up getting killed off. In fact, two of the characters in the movie who live actually end up dying in the book. You should read it. It's called 'The Body' and is only 70 pages long.

This will always be in my collection and in my top 5 films if not top.

The song by Ben E. King just happens to be the soundtrack of the film too. Check it out:



'I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve' - Gordie  

Gordie, Chris, Teddy and Vern

2 comments: