Saturday 14 December 2013

The Muppet Christmas Carol


At this time of year there was really only one choice for a Christmas themed post and watching this film has been a festive tradition of mine for many years. 

The Muppet Christmas Carol is amazing and great fun. If any of you reading this haven't seen this film then you certainly have been missing out. This is probably my most watched film of all time and I have always been a huge Muppets fan! I originally had this film on VHS as a Christmas present back in the 90's and at first put it on for about 10 seconds and then turned it off! As I was so young I only liked watching cartoons at the time and threw a tantrum when I realised it was live action! Haha! Then it turned out to be one of my favourite ever films.

I love the Muppets for their randomness, craziness, and the musical numbers they just burst into at any given moment. So this film started my Muppets craze for me which has never died. In fact I have the soundtrack of this film on my iPod. Great to listen to at Christmas. My music taste is a bit random to say the least. I prefer theme songs to my favourite shows rather than some of the popular bands these days.



So back to the film. We all know the story concerning Ebenezer Scrooge and how he despises Christmas and how it takes 3 spirits to show him the true meaning of it. The Scrooge in this film is played brilliantly by Michael Caine who is a legend of an actor. The story is narrated by Gonzo who is joined by Rizzo. Kermit and Miss Piggy are the Cratchits, Waldorf and Statler are Jacob and Robert Marley (a joke due to Bob Marley) and Fozzy, Sam Eagle, Bunsen and my favourite Beaker are all in there too. 

I love the music in this but the song sung by the Marleys used to unnerve me a bit when I was a kid due to them
Chains!
being ghosts I guess. My favourite two are 'Scrooge' and 'It Feels Like Christmas'. Speaking of songs, the one performed by Belle, 'When Love Is Gone', was removed from future versions of the film because the producers felt like it didn't fit in well with the rest of the film and wouldn't appeal to young kids. I have the DVD version with the scene missing so every time I reach that point in the film I pause it and watch the clip on YouTube. Nobody spoils my Muppet Christmas Carol!


The Muppets are that random that after watching the films I find myself using their phrases which don't make much sense at times and only my close friends will understand what I am on about. Very random guy at times you see! 

This is my 2nd favourite Muppet film. The first? It doesn't take much guessing and it will certainly be a future post so stay tuned.


God Bless us, everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment