Tuesday 24 September 2013

Mario Golf (NES 1992)


I have a confession to make. The name of this game is not Mario Golf. In fact it's called NES Open Tournament Golf. However to me and my friends it will always be Mario Golf as it starred Mario and Luigi. In fact I never took note of the real name at all to be honest.

This was the first golf game I ever played and in my opinion still the best. It was easy to play. The controls were quite simple as was the aiming etc. You could choose whether to strike the ball at the top, middle or bottom for extra spin. The wind direction played a big part in the courses so you often had to change your angle and stroke accordingly. 

The game features 3 courses. These are the UK, Japan and
US. All of which are equally enjoyable. Also there are 3 modes. Stroke play, Match play and Tournament. Stroke play involves you trying to improve your rank. Match play puts you against the computer including Luigi and 4 randoms- Steve, Mark, Tony and Billy. None of which feature in the Super Mario Bros. games.


I do remember these guys being quite tough to beat though.

In tournament mode you get ranked out of 37 players whom you can manually change the name of in the clubhouse. I just changed them to my favourite characters from other cartoons and games. You also earn prize money in this mode who you collect off Donkey Kong. Yes you read that right. Guess he has a 2nd job as an accountant.

One annoying feature in the game is the trees! The amount of times I ended up stuck behind one grrrrrr!! It only adds to the experience though. 

The music is quite catchy when you play the courses and it's actually stuck in my head as I'm writing this. I last played the game at the end of July on the flight over to Orlando and it was just as fun as when I was a kid.

In the clubhouse you can choose clubs or view your stats and prize money. You can also view your saved hole-in-ones, albatrosses, Eagles etc. I actually got 2 hole-in-ones back in those days but have not been able to do so since.

Needless to say I spent hours of endless fun on Mario Golf and it's very likely I will do so again in the future.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment