Friday 13 September 2013

Wondering about Wonder Boy


One console I missed out on as a kid was the Master System. My friends had it and I enjoyed playing Alex Kidd on it. The NES and Mega Drive were the consoles I had as well as a Commodore 64! So for this post I have decided to interview my friend Steve who is a huge fan of the series known as Wonder Boy and knows a great deal about it. Most of our conversations involve gaming or some kind of retro cartoon. Myself, i've played it briefly after downloading two of the titles from the PS store but among the other hundreds of games I have I find little time to commit to them.

So Steve, when did you first discover Wonder Boy?

I first discovered Wonder Boy in a cafe in my town. I was 7 years old at the time and found it on an arcade machine. I then had it for Christmas on the Master System in the year of 1987.

What is the games main plot?

The story is about a boy called Tom Tom who is trying to rescue his girlfriend who has been kidnapped by monsters.
The sequels have more of an RPG element to them whereas the original is a platformer. 

Are any of the other games in the series of differing styles?

Wonder Boy III Monsters Lair is a mixture of run and gun and shoot 'em up! It's a fun game but totally different from the others. You can find it on Mega Drive, Turbografix or arcade. Wonder Boy III was also on the Master System but was called Wonder Boy III Dragon's trap and was totally different to Monsters lair. 


What is it that you like about the games?

What I like about the games is they are really fun, colourful and entertaining.

Which is your favourite game in the series and why?

My favourite is Wonder Boy in Monster land. It has RPG elements, action platforming and loads of replay value.

Would you recommend it to the current day gamer now that next generation graphics and gameplay have been introduced?

I would highly recommend anyone go back and play the series as they hold up really well today. The gameplay is fantastic and some current game developers could learn something from this series.

As you can see Steve knows so much more about this series than I do so there you have it. If you wish to know more about Wonder Boy then check out Happy Console Gamer's video of the history of Wonder Boy below.


This guy does some awesome videos so check out his channel here

Steve also has his own YouTube channel with a lot about gaming so check his out here


2 comments: