Sunday 22 September 2013

The Last Of Us...I would never survive


Let me start by saying that if there ever was a virus outbreak that turned people into ferocious brain-eating monsters of any kind I wouldn't survive long at all. Playing this game has made me realise that. Luckily that is never going to happen! Right? Uhhh....

This game is epic! From start to finish! The graphics and gameplay are amazing and story is very emotional and powerfully driven. Playing it reminded me of the Walking Dead TV series.

It's your old typical plot. Virus outbreak, people panic and many die, slim pockets of survivors attempt to find a cure and restore some sense of normality while trying to stay alive.

I take my hat off to Naughty Dog. They did awesomely! The scenes are breath taking whether you find yourself in the ruined remains of a city or taking a stroll through what seems to be a tranquil forest. These are some of the best graphics on the PS3. 

It actually feels like a survival horror too! There is limited ammo and weapons around to use so you have to think wisely and whether to enter combat or not. My advice is to try and sneak past the Clickers when you can! They are mean monsters that make a 'clicking' sound when they are nearby. This is the third stage of the virus mutation. The 4th is the Bloater who grabs off his own spores to throw at you. A shotgun to the face is suggested and also fire is very useful against them.

Honestly, if I saw them in my street...yeah that would be the end of me. Here's hoping no one is attempting to create a zombie virus out there!

When running low on ammo, which you'll find is often, you can craft your own items to help such as shivs and nail bombs. Medikits can also be crafted to regain your health. You need to find all the ingredients first though. These can include blades, cloth and alcohol. Tools and parts can also be found to upgrade your weapons.  

You also fight against humans. So much for uniting together right? This is done very well and you come across some nasty characters that would see the main characters Joel and Ellie dead in an instant. There's a boss fight against the leader of a small community using Ellie. This takes place in a restaurant and requires stealth to accomplish while avoiding stepping on pieces of broken glass that would give your position away. I found this a nice distraction from the other monsters.

This game does make you feel tense. In fact it makes you feel all sort of emotions.

As with Uncharted, Naughty Dog have created a masterpiece here that will be remembered for a long time to come.

I don't want to spoil the game for you though so I suggest you go and try it. 

I'm hoping there will one day be a sequel...why not right?   

No comments:

Post a Comment